Thursday, April 12, 2007

To Estavan And Back

This trip to Estavan was not as rushed as the one a couple weeks ago, but it was with a heavier heart. What I feared last trip had already happened this trip. I know that my Grandpa was ready to go, he often talked about how he was ready, but I wasn't really ready. I did not have any big plans to spend a lot of time with him, or to try to learn something specifically from him. It is just being in his presence. I like to just be, to just hang out around my family. To sit and listen to them talk, argue, debate, and especially to hear the stories that they tell. And Grandpa could tell stories. People talked about Grandpa reciting poetry, and I will miss that too.

The funeral was different from Grandma's but it was in a lot of ways similar. Tim Pippus officiated, Wendell Bailey led singing, Uncle Robert read the eulogy, Uncle Tom and I gave readings, and Angel Erikson gave a testimony of Grandpa's impact on her life. All the Grandchildren that where there sang in a couple of songs. The songs that we sang as a congregation we the same songs that Erica had sung with Grandpa and Auntie Mary a couple of weeks ago. Between that and the songs talking about faith that holds even in the stormyness of life and as life fades into eternity ... it was difficult to sing some of these simple songs. I was able to understand why one song really bothered me on Good Friday - it was one of the songs Grandpa had chosen for his funeral - My Jesus I Love Thee.

Verse 3:
I'll love Thee in life, I'll love Thee in death
And praise Thee as long as Thou lendest me breath;
And say when the death dew llies cold on my brow;
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus 'tis now.

Comments:
It was great to see you Eric. I am just sorry I didn't get to visit more with you.

Love you all lots - Berta
 
It was nice to see you Eric and it will be on a bit of a happier note this summer and we can maybe visit a bit more. Tell your son's some stories of their daddy when he was their age. Love Ya!
 
Hey bro

Just sent you an email at your tbaytel.net email address. If it's not still good, send me back one at d.neil.b at my gmail account.
 
Thanks for the notes. I am also looking forward to this summer.

I am now wondering what stories Lin is refering too ... perhaps more worried about what those stories may be.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?