Saturday, April 07, 2007

Good Friday

This has been a tough couple of weeks. We went and saw Grandpa, the next week some close friends had their lives completely shaken up, so much that we were afraid that one of them might not be alive. When we started breathing again, the phone rang to tell us Grandpa had passed away. It has been very turbulent.

Today as we sit in our Good Friday worship time, thinking about the death of Jesus and the suffering, I am thinking more about Grandpa. I am thinking about his faith, his life, and his death. One song in particular really got to me. The verse was talking about how even as I am dying, my faith rests in God. I think back to that evening of Erica and Aunt Mary singing with Grandpa and his faith was so much a part of him even as he was leaving this life.

Grandpa was one of my heroes. I didn't know him like my brothers did, but I wanted to be like him.

Good Friday doesn't feel too good to me, but then I suspect that it is not really meant to be uplifting. Good Friday is about death. Good Friday is despair. On Sunday everything changes, at the resurrection all the old rules are out the window, life is different, despair is gone, death is defeated and life reigns eternal in God. Today is Friday, but I'm trying to continue to look to Sunday.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?