Monday, March 26, 2007

Visiting Grandpa

I witnessed a special moment. I managed to make a crazy trip to go see my grandpa. I knew my parents would be there so my family and raced to Midale on Saturday and raced home Sunday. The special moment was when my dad arrived and he went to Grandpa. Grandpa saw him and smiled a huge grin. This was someone he was waiting to see, someone he was hoping to see. Grandpa soon drifted back to sleep, but that moment I saw my Grandpa full there and joyful.

Later after supper we went back to visit Grandpa. He got out of bed the previous day, then he fell and hurt himself. So while we were there he was on pain medication and very drowsey. Tonight for our second visit, Erica sat next to him and she sang him some songs. Aunt Mary joined in and told Erica some songs Grandpa liked to hear. He was awake for the songs, mouthing the words, raising his hands, and holding Erica's hand. I'm not sure that there have been many moments lately that can top those two. The joy, the love, the purity of those moments are treasures for me.

Comments:
Hi! Thanx for visiting my blog! I decided to return the favour, and am glad I did! Since you supported me in my bus driving effort (most days aren't that bad!) I can now offer you some moral support in the ailing grandparent department. I watched my Grandpa slowly go down hill for 2 yrs before he passed away 3 yrs ago. He too kept falling and breaking hips etc and declined mentally. It is hard to watch them go through that, and it was even harder to watch my Mom become the care taker, like a role reversal. It made me worry about how my role with her will someday have to change. Just cherish every moment you have with him, as one day they will only be memories. You are in my prayers.
 
Eric what a special memory you have-- We have many too of your grandpa and grandma. Wonderful people.
Sharon (& Bob)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?