Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Reading

Since the move I have been reading again. I really was not able to read much the last while in Thnuder Bay. I read a few books, such as whenever the new Terry Goodkind book would appear. Other than that I didn't read much more than pieces of various books. Since the move There may have been a few weeks that I haven't read move than a couple of books, but not many. I re-read the Terry Brooks "Shannara" series. I've read a bunch of Robert Ludlum. Since Christmas I have read Tad Williams books (Sorrow, Memory, and Thorn series). My mom also started me on a new author, Kathy Reichs. She writes about a forensic anthropologist named Temperance Brennen. From this character the TV show Bones got their idea. Just like Ludlum's Bourne Supremacy, Kathy Reich's books are nothing like the show. The character in her book is closer to the author's age and presumably closer to the author's personality than the character from the show. The books have been interesting, and I am on my 5th book. There is some character development that happens through the books so there is a little bit of help gained by reading them in a specific order.

Over the Christmas holidays, I saw the movie, Eregon, and then I read the book. Erica then read the book as well. After that it took a lot of work to track down the next book, Eldest. I have not read it yet, I am trying to finish Cross Bones (Kathy Reichs) first since it is a library book due back next week.

I have expanded my reading out of the sci-fi/fantasy genre, but I'm not sure exaclty what other authors I should try reading, or even what other catagories I would enjoy. Any hints?

Comments:
Hi there, I know that you don't know me but I have run accross your page and noticed that you are reading a book by Kathy Reich. I am not an avid reader like you seam to be but I am able to get intrested by her books. Have you read Deja Dead or Grave Secrets? If not, I totally recomend it. And thanks for putting me onto the show bones! I didn't know that the show was about her/her book! Thanks again!
 
I've read grave secrets, bare bones, monday mounring, cross bones and one other book (I can't remember the title). The show is about a really different character. She is credited with inspiring the show, but Hart Hanson has creative credits. Don't expect the same as the books.
 
So that is what you have been doing with your days!
 
Considering how many teachers, etc, in your family, you're kinda asking for it when you say "what books should I read?" in a public forum. So here goes: Have you read "Biff" yet? The same author has a new book out called "A Dirty Job". Also very funny.

Also very funny, in a completely different way, is "Grendel" by John Gardiner. it's about Grendel, of Beowulf fame; but he's also making fun of modernist writing.

Another suggestion: find any Guy Kay books (Guy Gavriel Kay). He writes "alternative history" books; what he does is research the heck out of a period, and then write fantasy novels set in that kind of a millieux. Plus he's Canadian.

A student of mine is reading "The Time In Between". It's not brilliant, but you can play "spot the Hemmingway allusion" alot.

I've recently reread the Lloyd Alexander "Taran Wanderer" series, "Huck Finn", the "Narnia" books, and the "Bone" "Cerebus" and "Sandman" graphic novels.

Good luck with all that reading, and there will be a quiz.

-N-
 
Well I really like a book called the Time Traveller's Wife. by ? Niffenberger. I just bought it and am reading it for a third time in as many months. I love it. But I think you might have enough books to read. Maybe get Erica to read it and see if she likes it. It is a love story, with a twist.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?