Saturday, August 12, 2006

Let's Go To The Ex

I seem to remember a jingle that had those words in it (to the tune of "Let's Go To The Hop"). We took the boys to the CLE for rides and all kinds of other events that they have at the fair. It is held at the Canadian Lakehead Exabition grounds, so it is called the CLE. For some odd reason I keep calling it the Ex.

We got there and met up with another family from our church. Haaken discovered that he is now too big for some of the kiddie rides. It didn't bother him (I felt bad) but to make sure that he was having fun I sent him with the other family's older child to find a few rides. They enjoyed that (I think that my son is more adventurous when it comes to rides so he may have liked it more).

Meanwhile, Liam and his "fiancee" were going on a number of the kiddie rides together. He enjoyed those but was also anxious to get to some of the bigger rides.

Erica, Erin and Kristian caught up with us (they came later than us) and we proceeded on towards some other rides that my boys would both like and Erica went with them on the rides. I really like seeing the sheer joy on Haaken's face as he spins past me on some insane ride.

I went off to cover the phones at Erica's work (an emergency came up) while Erica (who had the wrist band for rides) stayed with the kids. They ate at the fair and saw a few shows before heading back to the rides. Liam even got his face painted (you will never guess what kind of painting he had done!).

After I got back, there was a made scramble to get the last few rides in before the wristbands expired. Liam and Haaken were going on different big rides without their mom! They had fun.

I think everyone got a little bit red, Erica suffering the worst of it. I was protected by all those golf games I played earlier this year. Liam's face was very red, oh yeah, I mentioned the face painting already.

The boys also learned this year about the "easy come easy go" of money at the CLE games. Liam wanted to win a scooter and so he got his $5 and bought two throws (they gave a three extra ones). He got nothing for his money and was very sad. I helped Haaken at a game and he won two pencils, I think he liked his prize. Earlier in the day the friend who had taken Haaken on a couple of rides played a couple different games and gave the boys each a toy.

I remember losing so much money at the carnival and one time even losing my bus money and walking home. I still feel like playing those games and trying to win some of the big prizes but I don't. I don't like to even think about playing as I pass by the booths. It is almost like a gambling addiction. There have been a couple of times when someone else has asked me to play for them, and I have done it, but I resist the temptation to pay money for these games. It is hard, but I don't think I would like the results.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?