Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Sports

I enjoy playing sports. I generally pick things up well enough to get by at whatever sport fairly quickly. I also kind of pride myself on having cheap equipment and still doing well enough at the sport for my experience and training. In football I bought new cleats once, in 1988. I have worn those ever since, the last few years taping them together so that they would not slip off during a play. I like not really looking like a "dangerous" receiver but then delivering on the field (which I have done, but failed in the outdoor last year).

In tennis I picked up a cheap wooden racket and started figuring out the game pretty quickly. Since I rarely play I am not very good, but I know that I could pick it up again quickly (not that I could play with my cousin who excells at racket games).

Hockey, I have cheap equipment, I don't go buy the new fancy skate, but rather a Canadian Tire special. I buy $10 hockey sticks because I can't get them for $5 anymore. But I do alright most nights at hockey.

Now we get to golf. I gave up my cheap assortment of club ($5 a club at the various places I found them) and now I own a set that I paid $60 for (then I had to go buy a putter I think it cost $30 or $40). The strange thing is as summer has progressed and my golf game has improved, I have been wanting to get expensive clubs (use so they are significantly cheaper but still they cost more than my set). I don't understand why my attitude is different about golf than the other sports. I feel no desire at all to spend $100 on skates or a hockey stick, but $90-$130 on a Driver ... I'm crunching the numbers looking for a loophole in my budget! Something is different and I'm not sure what.

Comments:
Clearly you are losing your scotish side...

Or perhaps, since you are playing a scotish sport, you see the worthiness of the expense?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?