Friday, July 07, 2006

News & Notes

A few happenings over this past week.

First of all we sent away the happy couple. On Sunday tulrich and sylveeah were at our house for brunch and present opening. It was a good time with the couple, with the best man and his wife and my wife's uncle and aunt.

Three of us left a little early and went golfing out at an expensive and quality golf course in the area. It was not a good enough course that I would want to give up the membership I have to play there. I also went golfing with my father-in-law after that at Chaples. My wife and father-in-law flew out of town on business so I had to go golfing by myself on Thurday. I scored 43 the first nine and 49 the second nine, for a final score of 92. I am still amazed at that score. In the early evening before I went to church, I went golfing with my friend and I scored 54 in the first half.

The boys have been home this week. My older son is anxious to get to camp next week.

I recieved a phone call and now I have to go make sure that the bus is ready and then I am driving. Extra work, extra pay. I guess I better run.

Anonymous I am anxiously waiting to hear more about my Canucks. I have not heard of any replacements for Jovo Bert. My friend tells me that we have replaced Bryan Allen with a prospect we recieved through the big trade.

Comments:
Frankly, Luongo's such an upgrade in the pipes over Auld of last year that losing Jovo's not going to hurt as much as all that. I am surprised that they got so dam' little for Clouts, tho. Mitchell is a huge upgrade on Allen in the D-zone, and Krajicek is supposed to be at least a good as Baumgartner, abeit slightly stronger on defence, with less offence. They still need one more body on the blueline, though; maybe Markov will end up signed.

I think that they are looking to guys like Burrows & Kesler to step up to play a second-line, with the Twins finally playing as the first-line guys. I think Carter's written off the Canucks, and that means (I think) a drop in production for the Twins. The Twins need a power-forward with wheels, and the Canucks have just chased off two of them.

I have me a suspicion that it will be a long winter in Canucklehead-land.
 
Yeah, I agree that it will be a long winter. That said if Luongo is as good as Kipper then the Canucks don't have to score a lot.

I think that our top 4 is badly weaker than last year which was already hurting some without Sopel. We now have one top 4 defenseman and need to train some new guys on playing in the NHL.

The forwards are what they are. I wonder if there is a power forward in the farm system (like King?) that can step up and play that role. Then I guess our little grinder could play with either Burrows or Kesler on the other line with Naslund. That could be interesting.
 
The Canucks have 2 top-4 defencemen: Ohlund (#2) and S. Salo (#4), with Willie Mitchell as a #5 who will have to play #3 minutes. Still no #1, and none on the horizon.

They will have as good a d-line as the Stanley Cup winners, tho.

King did well w/ the Twins, but I'm not sure if he's as fast as Carter; he's certainly not as fast as Bert. Kessler's developing, but he's a natural centre, not RW. Ah well, we'll see.
 
I was just on CBC's website & they have a masive hockey section

http://www.forecaster.ca/cbc/hockey/depthchart.cgi?Van

According to their scouting reports, Krajicek might eventually be a more physical version of Thos. Kaberle, but needs seasoning. For now, the Baumgartner comparison is probably right.

They think that King has good enough wheels, great shot, but isn't tough enough to be a #1 RW. ("soft & inconsistent") Burrows they think of as being a Matt Cooke type. Kesler is a good 2-way guy with some O-upside.

Josh Green -- well, like everyone else, they don't know why this guy isn't an NHLer. He's big, he's tough, he's fast, he's got a great shot. Maybe 28 is his year. he's the only guy in the system that could possibly step into Bert's skates.
 
I'm not sure what to expect from some of these players, but I know that when the Leafs forced some of their farm team into the bigs, the guys started to get the hang of playing at that level. I wonder if some of these guys just need to learn to play through the slumps and learn how to get out of them.

Josh Green... the name is familiar but I can't place it.

I think that Matt Cooke playing on a line with Naslund and Kesler could work well.

Linden is not signed yet. I hope they bring him back in. The Canucks need a strong leader like him, but he needs to get at least third line playing time to be able to impact the guys on the ice as well as off.
 
The rumour I heard wa that Trevor was planning to retire this year. (Hope not!)

Josh Green played in Regina w/ the Pats 8-10 years ago, so maybe you heard of him there.

King played 1/2 a season w/ the Twins, and got 12g -- well, 10g in the first 1/4, and 2g in the 2nd 1/4, and then got sent down -- and as for Kessler, well, "good 2-way w/ some offensive upside" could be Madden, or it could be Halpern, or it could be Ridley.

If Trevor signs, maybe he coould play line 1A w/ Naslund & Morrison... yeah that's the ticket....
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?