Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Snow Day

I wish. The streets have been getting worse and worse over the past couple of days. The main roads stay plowed, but the side streets are horrible. They have lots of snow, and if you are lucky they have ruts down the middle that you can use to get around them. The problem with the ruts is that they don't generally fit the bus. I find one crescent to be particularly bad on a consistent basis each (heavy) snow fall. I almost got stuck in it today. Some how I got through these roads and cresscents only to get stuck when I parked the bus this morning. After about 45 minutes of work I got it unstuck and parked, ready to go for this afternoon.

I think that we kind of do this in our lives (maybe I should be saying "my" here instead of "ours"). We plow the main road, taking care of what we need to so that we get by but we don't take care of the side roads, the places where we live and exist. There is so much of ourselves that we ignore to the detriment of our lives, and those around us who exist with us on those side roads. I know that we are in a hurry and there are lots of roads to plow, but maybe we ought to take the time to plow some of the crescents of our minds, of our lives so that we can live better.

Maybe I'm stretching things too far. Some of my side roads that I have been neglecting are:
• Reading - I have started a few things but not really finished them. I am in the middle of Searching for God Knows What (for about 8 months), Connecting, Answers to Pastors' FAQs, Why I Am A ... (by Brian McLaren), Autistic Thinkin - This Is The Title, and Circle of Light 2: Faragon Fairingay (this belongs to one of my brothers but I have had it for years and never read it). I need to start finishing some of these.
• Writing - I often start things, but finishing is another matter. Right now I have writing something small each week for our church program, so maybe I am starting to hand shovel this crescent out.
• Prayer - My prayer life is sporatic and I sometimes say that this is natural for who I am, and I sometimes just beat myself up for not being able to form routines better.
• Physical fitness - I have finally started goiong back to the gym last week after have stopped going for about 6-8 months. Hopefully this will help with feeling better in general and also with the sports that I play, I will be better able to compete.

I'm sure that there are more that I am just not thinking of right now. Plowing these roads may make the main roads of my life better to travel too. I better go to the gym now or I will start putting it off again, and we all know where that cycle leads.

Comments:
Sounds like a great article for the church bulletin. WKU
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?