Thursday, October 06, 2005

More bus Training

I have completed two days of my bus training and I wonder how much information I can continue to take in. It is not that the ideas are hard, or that they don't make sense. The difficulty seems to be the pressure on remembering everything. While they don't say your job is related to getting everything right, there are some things that are zero tolerance (which as a parent makes sense, but as an employee are frightening). Up until now I have been focused on the driving aspect and wanting to learn driving techniques and just learn better habits that will suit driving the larger vehicles. This has been the biggest concern of mine up till yesterday. Yesterday the amount of information that I was given seems overwhelming. I suspect that some of it is common sense, but some of it is driving for a while. 3 feet from the curb, I am not great at distances, I am already freaked out with the 15 feet from the RR crossing, and following at what ever the distance is supposed to be. I just hope that things will become second nature, as they did when I took the motorcycle safety course. The problem is that I have been driving a motorcycle since I was 14, I have nevern driven a bus before.

I guess I am just feeling some of the natural stress at learning a new job, and at knowing that I will be tested on what I know. Some of the stress relates to the responsibility involved in the job (the care and concern for little ones). Some of the stress is because I had to stay up late and watch my Canucks win their first game of the season. Sleep the cure all, maybe later. Right now I have to get to work.

Comments:
Don't worry about the 3 feet from the curb thing. That's easy. Use the same triangulation method as when you parallel park -- a diagonal line from you to the centre of the bus hood to the curb -- except that instead of seeing curb at the end of the line, you want to see 3 feet of road. In the summer, 3 feet of road is the distance from your arm to the door; in winter, it's the rut in the snow.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?