Tuesday, June 21, 2005

New Game

There seems to be a game going around blogs that has extended into the people I know. A friend who was tagged describes it, "It is the latest form of those 'get to know you' chain letters. You know those emails you get that say 'If you were a bucket of water, how full would you be,' or "Are you a gerbil or a frog person?' They then say to reply to the sender and send off to 5 friends." - T

Like him, I am not going to name names and try to compel 5 of my friends to continue the chain, plus I think it would be more interesting to see the responses kind of like another T is doing with his movie list. Feel free to answer the questions yourself or not, no "should"s.

How many books do I own?
I don't even have a rough estimate. My bookshelves at the church are full, my bookshelves at home are full, and I still have books in boxes. I have a lot of books, and yet still see many others that would be good and helpful to me (or just fun).

Last book I bought?
Well, the last book I bought was "A Storm of Swords". It is the third book in a series. I thought that it would be a trilogy, but I hear there is another book coming out this fall sometime (hard cover, I'll have to wait a while before the soft cover comes out).

Last book I read?
This is not a fair question. I am in the midst of reading "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire", but I am not done. I have recently reread parts of "Risking Church" by Jim Kallam Jr. but not all of it. I am still working my way through Brian McLaren's "A Generous Othodoxy." The last book I have read, cover to cover would be an extremely abridged version of "Finding Nemo" last night at bedtime.

5 Books that meant a lot to me?
1. "Longing For A Homeland" by Lynn Anderson. I just liked it, some of the stories touched near to other stories I had heard. Also he signed my copy.
2. "I Don't Want To Talk About It" by Terrence Real. A book that looks at depression from a male persepective and seemed to approach this right for me to understand.
3. "AquaChurch" by Leon@rd.Sweet (how he writes it on the cover). I felt like some of the parts of this book was challenging my perspective. He may not write as well as McLaren or explore as deeply, but he got me started thinking with book and "Soul Tsunami."
4. "The Soul of Fire" by Terry Goodkind. My current favorite fantasy writer, he has a series called the Sword of Truth. My wife started reading the series, and then I picked them up and enjoyed them. So far this one has been be my favorite, it started exploring things that he seems to have left again. Each book introduces a "Wizard's Rule" which the lead character has to learn on his own and understand. In this book the lead character starts to realize the art and creativity that exists beyond the rules. The rules shape and direct, but don't have to limit. That I think seems to summarize some of the journey I have been on.
5. "Risking Church" by Jim Kallam Jr. I wasn't sure whether I should put this one down, it is one of a long line of various church books that help at particular points in time, but I am not sure of the lasting value. It touches on some key ideas for our church and for where we are moving to for this next while, in a way that I can related to and that is not so removed from reality. I could have put the "Purpose Drive Church", or a Barna book on vision or some other church growth book but right now this seems more relevant. The odd thing is I bought and read it a year ago, but it is now that the book really means something to me. Kinda like a hand granade ...

Anyone else feel like sharing (once I get a copy of Tim's book, then I can list it on here, right?)

Comments:
1) Hmmm I also don't know more than 70 by Andre Norton alone, rough estimate 600 books
2) Well last book I bought was Sarah by Orson Scott Card (part of a series of 3 on women of Genesis)He normally write SciFi - I am waiting for his latest in the Ender series to come out in PB and waiting for my Harry Potter that my wife bought for my birthday to be released ...
3) Last book I read well there was the classic MySQL/PHP Database Applications but I don't think that counts so I'll go with CJ Cherryh's follow up to Hammerfall though I can't remember the title this morning.
4)5 books:
a)Star Man's Son - Norton
b)Foreigner - Cherryh
c)Ender's game - Card
d)Have Space suit will travel - Heinlein
e)Slan - AE Van vogt

but I have edited the list 3 times already and am not happy with pieces of me that I have ommitted - I am collecting books like Eight days of Luke and early Heinlein for my son to read so he will understand me ( though at 5 hea only wants to look at McAffrey - Dragons you know :)

A
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?