Sunday, May 15, 2005

Worn out

Well it has been a long weekend and not in a good way. It has been busy. Busy is not always bad, but this has had a fair bit of emotion involved in it. With help I led a funeral service planned by the family, based on the Church of England book of Common Prayer. The Scriptures were all in the King James Version, and the prayers from the book were also in King James vernacular. This is foreign ground to me, growing up with the NIV as the standard. I did learn John 3:16 originally from the King James, and I have said the Lord's Prayer that way, but most of my memory work and familiarity with the Bible is basd from the NIV.

In fact, when my wife decides to test me and ask me where to find a scripture, I have significantly more trouble finding if I am looking in a different translation, or even a different Bible than the one I currenlty use.

Today I taught my youth class and then preached as usual. The sermon was on the familiar story of Zacchaeus, and yet the more I studied it the more uncomfortable I was feeling about the kind of acceptance that it was teaching me. I tried to communicate a glimpse of this, but I am not sure that I really got across how uncomfortable this acceptance, this caring about people can really be.

Tomorrow is a day for resting and recovering (by going to the gym and going grocery shopping). Then the rest of the week is a rush to try and get things together so that I can leave for the weekend. I may even be preaching in Dauphin (poor TU and Ea, they go away on a short vacation and still have to listen to me).

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?