Thursday, May 26, 2005

Thinking about work

At times it is harder to post than other times, but for me these harder times is not when there is a lot going on, or I feel like there is nothing to post. The times I don't want to post the most (hey, that has a certain ring to it) is when I am thinking things that I don't want to share with others.

One of those thoughts that I am working through is about my work. I have been reluctant to post on this, to actually express some of the thoughts, but since I discussed it with some friends already I guess I can widen that circle.

Many parts of my job have been a struggle lately. There are things I avoid doing until the last minute (some of that is normal for me, some is simply avoidance), and then there are things that don't get done. There are things that I do, but they just drain me (not in a good way). There are still some aspects that I enjoy, but they do not seem to give me the energy to continue through the things I don't enjoy.

For a while I have been looking into schooling to get a Masters in Counseling, but the program that I dream about entering is not available here, and seems to be too demanding to do by distance education. The best case senario right now would require 2 years away from here to complete it. There are other programs that would require less time away, but they are different in content.

At one point I applied to many different part time jobs around town here, and I am still considering the idea. I have not had bites on any of those application (no call backs) which makes it hard to see yourself as employable.

I guess I will continue to look and consider the future, or maybe I will finally just go get my 1A licence and hit the road.

Comments:
You can't equate good truck driving songs with that evil country music.

"Gimme 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around..."
 
I really do think that your soul should be filled most of the time when you do work...even if it is not really the work that fills it but the fact that you are earning money for bread or that you get satisfaction from doing something, anything...if none of these are there, it is time to think. Take a risk, as cheezy as it sounds I really do hang on to God's request for us to share the desires of hearts with him, desire is strong.. it can carry you a long way, you have people that love you and will support you all along..you go girl, I mean guy!
 
I hate country music so much I can't even quote a song...
 
Sometimes you just need to make a decision... Sitting on a decision for 3 years doesn't put you any further ahead. Also, you are not in isolation. Remember that there are others around who are here both to support you and rely on you...

Also, consider your mood in relation to the entirety of your life.

There are a lot of times I feel like printing off my already drafted resignation letter and handing it in. But then I remember those who rely on me, those who support me and whether or not how I am feeling at the moment is reflective of how I feel most of the time.

Often it is just a bad week...

And guys get PMS too!
 
Speaking for myself, I'd not trust myself to have an already drafted resignation letter on a computer from which I could too easily print it rashly. I learned a couple of years ago that especially when I'm upset (and especially re. work) I should compose emails off-line and then save them as a draft (and then usually trash them). But I didnt.
 
Tim, you're scaring me with all the songs that I recognize.

Don't forget "Teddy Bear" and that one about a ghost driver.
 
Richard - ya, I've learned that lesson too, the hard way...

The only reason I have an already drafted resignation letter is because I actually prepared it, printed it, signed it, had it in my hand and was prepared to give it to my board members at a board meeting a while ago. It was a particularly hard time...

But I haven't ever deleted it. I suppose it would be safer to do so! I'm not sure what we would do without my income.

Wouldn't life be so much nicer without the small matter of having to make money.
 
Eric: do a little research into ADHD and then rethink your concerns about work.

Dopamine/frontal lobe disorders run rampant in our family. Within one degree of seperation of you there are at least seven people with ADHD or Aspberger's -- two brain disorders with very similar pathology. When you think that the societal average for ADHD is about 5%, give or take, and that ouot of 20+/- people at least 7 are symptomatic, then you have to wonder if the problem is the job, or that your brain doesn't work that way.

Look up "Delivered from Distraction" by Edward M. Hallowell and John Ratey (isbn # :0-345-44230-X)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?