Friday, April 01, 2005

These shoes were made for walkin

I'm not positve that these feet were made for walking, but that just what they did. Today, this morning actually, I walked from the Hilton hotel, downtown up to college, where the address was about 120 something and then I walked until I came to the address 1109. I was looking for a bookstore I looked up in the phone book, and I found it, but it turned out to be a portugeuse book store. This would not have been too bad of a walk if at every block the number changed, but it didn't. It took two or three blocks to get through each of the 100s. It turned into a bigger walk than I had planned. Since I had gone so far anyway, I decided to go a few more blocks up to another store I had looked up that was on 700 block of Bloor. It turned out to be a Korean bookstore, and I almost missed it entirely because the sign was not in english. After that I walk back along Bloor till I reached Chapters, I knew that they would have a few books in English that I could look at. Finally I walked to Bay and then back down to the hotel. It was quite an adventure for one morning.

Last night my wife and saw Mamma Mia. It was an interesting show with some questionable morals, but hey what do you expect living a society of questionable morals (most show seems to reflect this part of our society). It was very entertaining and so well performed that we loved it. The actors were for the most part very believable and they also had pipes to belt out these wonderful pop tune from my childhood (mostly stuff my disco brothers listened too, I was too young to really be into music that much). We were both in awe of the singing of Blythe Wilson who played the mother in the show. As she acted, you could read her face which is a difficult thing to pull off on stage with no camera to direct people's attention. Marisa McIntyre played the role of Sophie the daughter who was getting married and captured that role so well.

An upcoming musical, Lord of the Rings, has us wondering if we will be back in Toronto next year in time to catch it. Yeah, we like going to the theatre. You know, there is an entirely different energy coming out live theatre than what you experience leaving Silver City. The movie maybe exciting, it maybe invigorating, it may even challenge you, but when you leave live theatre you were just a little more engaged, a little more "there" than the big screen. Movies also have a lot of effects, and to do effects on stage is different, even the scene changes. You are just pulled into something different, something live. Maybe if I had just a little less inhibitions, and a lot more courage I would try doing some instead of just watching. Such is life.

Comments:
Disco brothers?????????
 
I remember the shinny shirts.
 
Did they play hockey in these shinny shirts? :)
 
"Actor's Nightmare/Sister Mary Ignatius" opens April 14 at Bora Laskin Theatre.
 
I tried to edit, I tried to delete. Nothing. No way to fix the shinny thing.

What are the gist of the plays?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?