Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Gearing Up

This week is going to be a big week. While I prepare for the usual midweek activites (I am not preaching on Sunday though), on Saturday is our annual leadership retreat. It is here that we discuss some of our pet peeves or pet projects that we would like to do more about. We have done some good things because of these meetings, but mostly it has been about discussing things that would otherwise be missed and the leaders would slowly drift apart on thinking without noticing.

Since Easter another couple with two small children have been coming out to church. It is nice to be adding new people but I wonder what it will take to make them feel like a complete part of our group. I have not succeeded (as far as I can tell) at being able to talk much with the husband. I have to bring up his employment, but in a way that he can talk about it (not just "what do you do" that is way too over used and often misses the boat n starting a conversation).

I just read Patrick L 5 Disfunctions of a team and I thought the book was very good. It only took me one night to read the book (from midnight till about 3:00 last Wednesday). I will need to post more on the content of the book but for now I will start with the first disfunction - lack of trust.

He defines this not in the ability to predict what the other person is going to do but rather trust is about the motives of the other person in their decision making. Are they looking out for the team or are they thinking about their best interest and making themselves look good. In church terms it would be are they looking at doing the best for the church, for God or are they seeking their best interest and their preferences. Many a music battle has been fought over this area, trust.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?