Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Don't Worrry...

It is easy to be happy when your football team is winning. We just won 39-6, and I had two of the touchdowns. There is a lot of othere things going on in my life, but when we win at football it provides relief from other stresses. Besides that I just like scoring touchdowns (only seven this season).

On a different note, I have been thinking more about vision and trying to make clear what we are looking for when we are looking at this thing called vision.

Here is a piece of what I wrote. I need to do more, but this is what came to me today.

When I am talking about vision, I am talking about a focusing of our purpose. This is not meant to be a broad paint brush that will serve us for many generations, but a direction that may only serve us for a couple of years, but will be a definite leading to definite action.

Vision then is an image, a picture of the future. Not a statement defining our goals, but a drawing of how we reach them. Robert Frost:
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And I am sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
...

Two roads diverged in a wood and I –
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

There are different direction, all equally good, all that would be doing God’s work, but what path makes all the difference for us as a group right now? We can only travel one, and that one will take us to places we have never been before (though some of the scenery may look familiar and similar to other places we have traveled, it will still be new).

Our work then for this vision process is to find a way to express that focus, that direction, the path that we will be traveling down, which is not just a good thing to do, but God’s best will for us at this time. We are not defining ourselves for all time since as we assimilate new people we will change even as we change them. We are talking about God’s will for us at this time.
---------
My mind is working constantly on defining and refining this idea while trying hoping to suddenly know what we must do. I am not alone in trying to figure this out, but it is my job to keep the focus of this vision steady and not to drift into areas we should not be defining. If anyone has thoughts or visions or even the old people who dream dream I would love to hear of it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?