Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Ray

Last night I went to see the movie Ray. I enjoyed myself. The movie told me more about the life of Ray Charles than I knew before, it told me some things I already knew. Mostly though, the music of the movie reminded me of so many different things. I remembered enjoyable things about my childhood, I remembered time with my dad. I experienced the nostalgia of good feelings, even though some of the songs are extremely sad.

Watching and enjoying movies may have less to do with the movie itself, but more to do with the memories and the thoughts that are touched through the movie. It is especially about the songs that are chosen that can significantly impact a movies feel. In one sense that is totally out of the movie makers hands, but for most people it is a predictable feeling that some songs bring.

I have seen some churches make use of pop songs in their worship services that help connect the theme or message of the day with the real world. Our music is a world of memories, even the sad songs bring back happy times, or even sad times that we can relive. The music I want to hear is music that bring back those feelings from my youth, from growing up with family around. I want to hear more of that music.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?