Friday, December 10, 2004

Parent - Teacher Interviews

Every once in a while you hear a phrase that strikes fear into your heart like, "You go down to the principal's office!" or "I think we need to talk," and even "Do you know what today is?"

Well, the parent-teacher interview was something that I was unsure about, not quite to the level of some of those others, but I was waiting for the bad news. It never really came. I learned that my younger son has a good friend in his class (and they are the high energy kids). The teacher was concerned to know if his behavior at home had changed any, but it has not. I did not get the impression that he was having any troubles in school. I am sure that if he was we would have been told.

My older son's teacher met with us next. The ten minute interview went about 40-50 minutes. She so won us over to the positives of what was happening in class and with him, that when she did talk about some of his weaknesses, we were even upbeat about those. This teacher seems to have fostered a class room where the kids all encourage each other, and help each other. It just oozes with positive messages and feelings. My son loves this class and feels free to take risks (although he takes risks when he does not feel safe, but less of them), and to do stuff with the class and for the class, and even make announcements and jokes for the whole school. He is enjoying himself, and the teacher is hopefull that from the work that the other people are doing with H that there will be a plan to help him develop even more. She thinks that there is so much more still to draw out of him. I think this year is going to be a good one for him. For this year anyway, I won't have to fear the phrase "parent-teacher interview".

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?