Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Christmas cheer, but not love

I am getting ready to speak this week on the advent topic (theme) of love. I recognize a lot of themes around Christmas, but this one is a bit more vague. It has a milliion different focus points. I just am not sure where to start.

I kind of like what Richard did last Sunday, asking for song with joy in it, but I was thinking perhaps trying to get a wider range of songs. But that was done last week too, so I am not sure about doing the same thing (unless it was my idea) two weeks in a row.

Love, it can be an overwhelming topic for a sermon. Where to start, where to finish. Perhaps it has to start with the most quoted verse of the Bible. John 3:16 then 1 or 2 Peter where it talks about God not wanting anyone to perish. Then the plan - John 1, and the birth narratives. Focus on Immanual - God with us. That leaves application - how to live, what to do about this idea that God came near. I'm still not sure if this is the right outline for a sermon. More thinking required, maybe a clearer head. What to do ...

-----------------------------------

I wanted to post a Psalm that I read last night that for some odd reason appealed to me. I just really liked it and wanted to share it.

Psalm 38
A psalm of David. A petition.

1 O LORD , do not rebuke me in your anger
    or discipline me in your wrath.
    2 For your arrows have pierced me,
    and your hand has come down upon me.
    3 Because of your wrath there is no health in my body;
    my bones have no soundness because of my sin.
    4 My guilt has overwhelmed me
    like a burden too heavy to bear.

    5 My wounds fester and are loathsome
    because of my sinful folly.
    6 I am bowed down and brought very low;
    all day long I go about mourning.
    7 My back is filled with searing pain;
    there is no health in my body.
    8 I am feeble and utterly crushed;
    I groan in anguish of heart.

    9 All my longings lie open before you, O Lord;
    my sighing is not hidden from you.
    10 My heart pounds, my strength fails me;
    even the light has gone from my eyes.
    11 My friends and companions avoid me because of my wounds;
    my neighbors stay far away.
    12 Those who seek my life set their traps,
    those who would harm me talk of my ruin;
    all day long they plot deception.

    13 I am like a deaf man, who cannot hear,
    like a mute, who cannot open his mouth;
    14 I have become like a man who does not hear,
    whose mouth can offer no reply.
    15 I wait for you, O LORD ;
    you will answer, O Lord my God.
    16 For I said, "Do not let them gloat
    or exalt themselves over me when my foot slips."

    17 For I am about to fall,
    and my pain is ever with me.
    18 I confess my iniquity;
    I am troubled by my sin.
    19 Many are those who are my vigorous enemies;
    those who hate me without reason are numerous.
    20 Those who repay my good with evil
    slander me when I pursue what is good.

    21 O LORD , do not forsake me;
    be not far from me, O my God.
    22 Come quickly to help me,
    O Lord my Savior.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?