Thursday, November 25, 2004

Cry baby

Jonny Depp in a wierd movie early in his career. I don't remember much about it except that I did enjoy it.

I am feeling much better today. I suppose it comes and goes with the time of day and with the events of the day. Normally being tired (like I am) would make me a little worse, but since it is early in the day I seem to be doing fine. Maybe part of what I am doing is looking at various things that need to be done and not spending my time being sad or letting emotions out.

Ever since I was young (that means after) I have really avoided some emotions. I remember being teased, I remember crying. Yesterday when I was helping my younger son get ready for school, he did not want to wear his ski-pants. I had encoutered this a few times already, and I was not sure why. Then I asked the question, "Did someone tease about your ski-pants?" "Yes." I was starting to feel a little ... hmmmm. Angry might be too strong, butbeing a man my emotional vocabulary is not great, but it was something along those lines. I told Liam that if someone teases him, to tell me, to tell his teacher. It is not right that at the age of 4 someone should tease him about anything. I worry about this with my older son even more. I am sure he was teased last year and I am sure that had a big impact on who he was last year and why we are going through this series of tests for him. He seems more appreciated in his class, but I still worry about what the other kids my say to him. I want to be there, watching for things and protecting him from that, I don't want my boys to be teased. Unfortunately, I am at home and they are at school. Here I sit, giving them assurance and trying to build up their spirits, hoping that there is not someone on the other end tearing it down. Now I have successfully diverted everyone from examining my problems and have them wondering about schools and bullies and what might be happening to their own children or to children of friends of theirs. My work here is done.

Comments:
Hey Eric,
I'm sorry that you've been going through a tough time lately - I've been checking in on how you're doing and saying a prayer for you. That is so brutal about kids being teased - teasing is the pits, and must surely bring up all these things from the parent's own experience too. Can you teach them to tease back, or send them to school with a baseball bat? JOKING!! Another reminder to pray for kids I guess, hey, as only God can take care of them.
Can I also just say that your post titles totally crack me up, even though (as I'm sure you can imagine) I have no idea what half those songs or movies even are. You and Erica are sooo much more encultured (is that a word?!) than myself! LOL Tell your wife she should start a blog so I can hear what she's up to also! :)
Hope you have a good day, and hi to your family.
bonnie
 
Bullying was a part of growing up. You likely don't remember much of Regina but things were very messed up there. The middle one of us got the worst I'm sure but it probably touched all three.
I know that there is something hurt inside me and I believe it is much worse for him. Now I worry for you too.
This likely doesn't help anything but then I've done a lot of consulting and that is typical of the mind set describe the problem with great clarity while not really helping at all.
 
When someone says "being a man, my emotional vocabulary is limited" I feel irate.
 
Hey Bonnie thanks for the reply. The best we can hope for from Erica right now is to respond on my blog.

Heimdahl, I don't really remember a lot about Regina. I have more memories of there than Winnepeg, but I remember Victoria better still.

Richard, that is my cop-out because I don't have a great emotional vocabulary. I learned about my limitations in one of my master's classes and learned that this prof when counselling men would try to get them to go beyond the normal words (words I am familiar with) and if they could not describe emotions with a wider range of words, he would give them a piece of paper to help them learn an emotional vocabulary. So I do have this tendancy to stereotype.

Eric
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?